Friday, October 2, 2009

Why I am a Detective and Not an Inventor As Previously Assumed.

People think in strings and make knots themselves.

I wonder if I could do that? I've always loved building stuff. Tangibly, the knots I make with my hands are top fucking notch, but with my brain? I mean, I could do it...

No I couldn't. Goddamn it, even when I build stuff I start with a fucking knot and work my way backwards. Like in sewing. I don't use patterns, never have. But I think of something, realize I want to make it, and then I make it. Simple as that.

Very, very rarely do I see something that inspires a design, because with me, the design was always there, waiting for me to find it.

I kind of wish it was the other way around. I would feel more creative, for sure. I could never be a painter and let the art unfold into its own creation, where I'm clueless towards the outcome. No. For me, I know the outcome, and I need to figure out how I got there.

And all of this reminds me of a poem that I loved in college, and it didn't hit me until I typed "painter" (and I don't like poetry) but I supremely identified with it, and I wonder if it's been stuck in the back there the whole time just waiting to come back out and play? Like a puppy?

Because I'm untangling my knot of art and bullshit and finding out where this came from, even though "people think in strings?" is relatively knew [new], but I should have known [nown?], because I'm familiar with The String Theory, which is amazingly similar, and I love seeing how things connect, but in my head I never connect one with the other myself, I just discovered the connection that already existed.

So what have we learned? I am a Detective, rather than an Inventor. So weird. I always thought I was an Inventor.

See? You get it.

But read it. The poem. You probably already know it. Here you go.

...

17 comments:

Chamuca said...

No, I DO get it. I could never put it into a logical thought process like you have though.

People (at least me) tend to think in narrative form, rather than bits of imagery flashing in their mind's eye. That's why your writing is interesting because you show us the journey through your head that you take to get to the point in the story.

And in my opinion, that's what good writing is.

Lailani Ali said...

I love puppies.
Also, that poem didn't even rhyme.

Anonymous said...

i don't detect or invent. i'm an engineer. i solve problems. i WANT to create, but all i can do is beat through options until i find something that works...

i would rather be a detective. you at least get to wear a cool trench coat... i get a pocket protector.

renalfailure said...

You're like House, except you tell stories instead of providing medical treatment.

JMH said...

Knot to string, string to knot -- same thing. Me and you, halfway through, we both got half a knot and a bunch of piles of string.

la isla d'lisa said...

I dunno, Rassles ... I may be just a teensy bit gay for you, I love you that much. Don't ever stop detecting.

Le Meems said...

I'm a tugboat operator.
I see big problems and little old me is gonna FIX it. Creatively problem solve.
You know.
The light through the fog.

But also a flying trapeze artist, whirling through the air "LOOK MA NO HANDS" ...

thats a fucking scary combination. Stick with detecting, kid. I love the stuff you unearth in that delicious brain.

I don't understand String Theory. I went to an art exhibit dedicated to it in LA and i just got more 'fused.

Ellie said...

I feel like a pig. I've eaten too much and feel full and sick and can't even be bothered to think about higher brain activity. Through it all I do recognise that I admire your though!

Chris said...

I don't know -- I think the two things are inseparable. We have to detect the space to invent the solution. Knowing that something is needed where the sardines go is as hard as inventing the right thing to put there.

Anonymous said...

Michelangelo said that his great scuptures were already in the marble, he just had to release them.

Sid said...

I'm an observer. I like looking at the details. Details are important. For me attention to details are what makes a good designer/story teller.

Kono said...

i hate poets but i do love Frank. Painting is easy, i love it, i'm not anty good, but i love it, you just have to relax and not give a fuck.

OneZenMom said...

This? This right her? Fucking awesome.

Chelle Blögger said...

I appreciate quality poetry as well.

Preferably in dirrrty limerick form.

:)

Mia Watts said...

He's not a poet either. Concise, yes, thoughtful, sure. Basically he had an idea and tightened the margins.

Wait... you sew? That screws with my mental image of you bar hopping some how.

Humming, pins poking out from between your lips, the glow of a tiny bulb and 5mm of seaming to one side of a metal bird-like foot. Hop, Hop, Hop. (see? change the margins now I'm a poet too.)

Can you sew with string? There may be more links than you realize.

Erin said...

Hereinfranklin stole my comment!

I think I am an inventor. Whether I'm doing something I feel confident at (writing) or something that makes me totally lose confidence (planning & cooking a meal), every step is a game of "Can I come up with something better than this?" Then I create more options to choose from. There is definitely a diagnostic process in choosing among my new options. But what really fires me up is the hope that a better version could exist, and I just haven't gotten it yet.

But I also identify with your feeling that the final product is waiting for you to find. I start any project feeling like I'll know the best version when I see it. I just also feel like it takes a lot of bursts of invention to get to that point.

Does that make any sense?

Blues said...

I'm sure this is completely unrelated, but I'm currently obsessed with mindmapping. Have you ever used Mindjet? Everything I think about right now I'm mind mapping on a brainstorming thing and I'm fucking obsessed. I think it helps. Or something.